We hope you enjoy your home and are able to decorate it to your taste. In addition to furniture and textiles, surface materials play a major role in the atmosphere of your home. Therefore at SATO we allow you to carry out do-it-yourself (DIY) renovations in your rental home.
You can also do a smaller painting renovation for which you can request a painting kit from us.
• You will need to cover the renovation costs.
• You get to decide which products and materials you want to use.
• If you like, you can order the SATO painting kit free of charge. Read more about the painting kit later on this same page.
• You must notify SATO Customer Service (email@example.com) about the renovation in writing; to do this, use this form »
• When renovating, you must undertake to comply with the instructions provided by the material suppliers and SATO.
• If your DIY renovation causes damage to the apartment because you did not follow the work instructions, you must compensate for the damage.
• You must undertake to leave the outcome of the renovation free of charge in the apartment when you move out.
• DIY renovations are not intended to replace SATO’s apartment renovations carried out at the end of the life cycles of the surface materials of SATO homes.
• If the condition of one or more rooms in your home requires renovation carried out by SATO, contact the Service Manager or Building Manager to discuss the situation.
Before you begin any DIY renovation work, you must notify SATO about your plans using this form. Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Notification using the form will be enough if you only plan to do one or more of the following:
• stencilled or textured painting of dry room walls of your home (you can do basic painting without notifying us, and you can also get a painting kit from SATO);
• wallpapering of dry room walls of your home;
• painting of painted walls of bathroom/shower room and separate WC of your home;
• painting of fixtures of your home;
• replacing fixture doors and handles of your home;
• covering kitchen splashback tiling with laminate board.
If you are interesting in doing DIY renovations not mentioned in the list above, contact the service/building manager and tell them what you would like to do. For example, changing laminate flooring or replacing old vinyl flooring with laminate requires a separate permission from the service/building manager. In floor renovations, issues such as footstep noise standards must be taken into consideration and therefore it is not always possible to replace vinyl flooring with laminate.
Residents carrying our DIY renovations must undertake to comply with the work instructions provided by materials suppliers and SATO. You must also undertake to leave the outcome of any DIY renovations paid for by you in the apartment when moving out. If any work is carried out in manner that is contrary to the work instructions provided, you must compensate for the costs incurred by SATO from rectifying any non-compliances in the outcome of the work, any undoing and, where necessary, having the work redone.
The service manager / building manager of your building will answer any general questions about DIY renovations. To find the manager’s contact details, enter your street address in the address field at Contact us -page.
The internet is full of renovation advice. Make sure, however, to always comply with the work instructions provided by materials suppliers and SATO to ensure a quality outcome and minimise any errors.
For painting instructions visit the Tikkurila website. You can also phone the Tikkurila customer helpline for advice on 010 860 8600, business days 8:00–19:00.
For decor inspiration, do not forget the Kotona pages (in Finnish on #SATOjaideoita tab).
The fun with DIY renovations is that you get to choose the materials and products. If you decide to renovate your home, we will provide you with instructions that contain handy tips, particularly on the types of materials and products that may be difficult to choose by the not-so-experienced renovator.
Instructions - Painting of walls, dry rooms
Instructions - Painting of walls, wet rooms
Instructions - Stencilled painting of walls, dry rooms
Instructions - Textured painting of walls, dry rooms
Instructions - Wallpapering, dry rooms
Instructions - Painting of fixtures, dry rooms
Instructions - Replacing of fixture doors, pulls or knobs and covering of kitchen splashback tiling with laminate board
Your renovation must not cause inconvenience to other residents in your building.
Remember to post a notification about your renovation on the notice board of your building at least a day before you begin the work. You can write your own notification or use this template.
Include the following information in your notification:
• the number of the apartment renovated;
• the contact details of the person carrying out the renovation work;
• information about any significant impact on other apartments, such as noise.
Post the notification in all of the staircases of the building.
Protect all surfaces and structural elements in your home that might get damaged to prevent any stains and damage due to your renovation project. Protect everything so carefully that building dust will not spread outside the work area in any circumstances.
Take the waste generated in your renovation work to a landfall site or municipal waste collection point, carefully following the relevant regulations. Take any liquid paint waste to a hazardous waste collection point and empty or dried-up paint tubs to recycling or a landfill site. You must not put any renovation waste in the building’s waste containers.
Also make sure you only use materials intended for home interior use when renovating. You can substitute products recommended in our work instructions with products that are corresponding as regards their properties and quality.
SATO offers a free painting kit (maalaussetti in Finnish) to those who want to paint their home.
1. If you only need the painting kit, send us a message via OmaSATO, and tell us about your need for the painting kit as well as from which K-Rauta store you would like to collect the kit. Also include in the message information of the colours you want to be in the kit. More info on SATO colours below. We'll let you know when you can pick up the painting kit.
2. If you are doing a DIY renovation, you can place an order for the painting kit on the same form you use to inform us about your DIY renovation. On the form, please write down the K-Rauta store you'd like to collect your painting kit from as well as which colours you'd like to be included in the kit. More info on SATO colours below.
The amount of paint needed will be estimated by SATO using the size of your home. If you need paint for a smaller space, please let us know when placing the request.
painting instructions, sandpaper, filler, painter’s cap, pre-paint cleaning agent, masking tape, paint roller and extension pole, paint edger, set of brushes, putty knife.
The kit will also include the required amount of Tikkurila Nova 7 wall paint if you pick your colour from SATO’s pre-selected range of colours.
• You can only pick colours from the colour chart for the painting kit.
• The colours marked with an asterisk in the colour chart are accent colours that you can use to paint only one wall.
• You may do a basic painting in your home without a separate notification to SATO. However, if you wish to do a stencilled painting or structure painting, please let us know about it by sending us this form filled.
Take a look at SATO's interior colours here »
Computer screen always alters the colours. For best results pick the coded Tikkurila paintsamples from your nearest store to compare at home.
Note! There is old info in the translations. Please inform us about your DIY renovation by emailing this form to SATO Customer Service. Also the request for painting kit has changed. Find out the latest instructions on this page at 'Request painting kit via OmaSATO'.
Do-it-yourself renovations (English)
Üürikorterite remontimine (Estonian)
Ремонт квартиры своими руками (Russian)
Dayactirrada adiga samaysiga ah (Somali language)
Travaux à faire soi-même (French)
Kendi Kendinize Yenileme ve Tadilat (Turkish)
الإصلاحات الذاتية / إصلاح المنازل المؤجَّرة (Arabic)