We hope you enjoy your home and are able to decorate it to your taste. In addition to furniture and textiles, surface materials play a major role in the atmosphere of your home. Therefore at SATO we allow you to carry out do-it-yourself (DIY) renovations in your rental home.
• You will need to cover the renovation costs.
• You get to decide which products and materials you want to use.
• If you like, you can order the SATO DIY painting kit free of charge. Read more about the DIY painting kit
• You must notify SATO Customer Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) about the renovation in writing; to do this, use this form »
• When renovating, you must undertake to comply with the instructions provided by the material suppliers and SATO.
• If your DIY renovation causes damage to the apartment because you did not follow the work instructions, you must compensate for the damage.
• You must undertake to leave the outcome of the renovation free of charge in the apartment when you move out.
• DIY renovations are not intended to replace SATO’s apartment renovations carried out at the end of the life cycles of the surface materials of SATO homes.
• If the condition of one or more rooms in your home requires renovation carried out by SATO, contact the Service Manager or Building Manager to discuss the situation.
Before you begin any DIY renovation work, you must notify SATO about your plans using this form. Email the form to email@example.com
Notification using the form will be enough if you only plan to do one or more of the following:
• stencilled, textured or basic painting of dry room walls of your home;
• wallpapering of dry room walls of your home;
• painting of painted walls of bathroom/shower room and separate WC of your home;
• painting of fixtures of your home;
• replacing fixture doors and handles of your home;
• covering kitchen splashback tiling with laminate board.
If you are interesting in doing DIY renovations not mentioned in the list above, contact the service/building manager and tell them what you would like to do. For example, changing laminate flooring or replacing old vinyl flooring with laminate requires a separate permission from the service/building manager. In floor renovations, issues such as footstep noise standards must be taken into consideration and therefore it is not always possible to replace vinyl flooring with laminate.
Residents carrying our DIY renovations must undertake to comply with the work instructions provided by materials suppliers and SATO. You must also undertake to leave the outcome of any DIY renovations paid for by you in the apartment when moving out. If any work is carried out in manner that is contrary to the work instructions provided, you must compensate for the costs incurred by SATO from rectifying any non-compliances in the outcome of the work, any undoing and, where necessary, having the work redone.
The service manager / building manager of your building will answer any general questions about DIY renovations. To find the manager’s contact details, enter your street address in the address field at For resident -page.
The internet is full of renovation advice. Make sure, however, to always comply with the work instructions provided by materials suppliers and SATO to ensure a quality outcome and minimise any errors.
For painting instructions visit the Tikkurila website. You can also phone the Tikkurila customer helpline for advice on 010 860 8600, business days 8:00–19:00.
For decor inspiration, do not forget the kotona.fi.
The fun with DIY renovations is that you get to choose the materials and products. If you decide to renovate your home, we will provide you with instructions that contain handy tips, particularly on the types of materials and products that may be difficult to choose by the not-so-experienced renovator.
Instructions - Painting of walls, dry rooms
Instructions - Painting of walls, wet rooms
Instructions - Stencilled painting of walls, dry rooms
Instructions - Textured painting of walls, dry rooms
Instructions - Wallpapering, dry rooms
Instructions - Painting of fixtures, dry rooms
Instructions - Replacing of fixture doors, pulls or knobs and covering of kitchen splashback tiling with laminate board
Your renovation must not cause inconvenience to other residents in your building.
Remember to post a notification about your renovation on the notice board of your building at least a day before you begin the work. You can write your own notification or use this template.
Include the following information in your notification:
• the number of the apartment renovated;
• the contact details of the person carrying out the renovation work;
• information about any significant impact on other apartments, such as noise.
Post the notification in all of the staircases of the building.
Protect all surfaces and structural elements in your home that might get damaged to prevent any stains and damage due to your renovation project. Protect everything so carefully that building dust will not spread outside the work area in any circumstances.
Take the waste generated in your renovation work to a landfall site or municipal waste collection point, carefully following the relevant regulations. Take any liquid paint waste to a hazardous waste collection point and empty or dried-up paint tubs to recycling or a landfill site. You must not put any renovation waste in the building’s waste containers.
Also make sure you only use materials intended for home interior use when renovating. You can substitute products recommended in our work instructions with products that are corresponding as regards their properties and quality.
SATO offers a free painting kit to those who want to paint their home. To order the kit, use the same form you use to inform the us about your DIY renovation. Once we have received the form, we'll will contact you and let you know from which K-rauta or RTV outlet you can pick up your painting kit.
painting instructions, sandpaper, filler, painter’s cap, pre-paint cleaning agent, masking tape, paint roller and extension pole, paint edger, set of brushes, putty knife.
The kit will also include the required amount of Tikkurila Nova 7 wall paint if you pick your colour from SATO’s pre-selected range of colours. If you want to use other colours, you must buy the paints yourself.
The amount of paint needed will be estimated by SATO after you have discussed the scope of your renovation.
• you can choose the coloured paints from one pre-selected SATO colour themes. For example if you choose the theme "Punainen", you can choose the shades L418, Y319 and F497, and compose a nice room that suits your taste. And that is just an example.
• To ensure that all the components in the room fit together, use only one colour theme per room.
• Some of the colour themes have also a toned white included that looks nicer with the theme colours than the plain painter's white.
Take a look at SATO's colour themes here »
Computer screen always alters the colours. For best results pick the coded Tikkurila paintsamples from your nearest store to compare at home.
Note! There is old info in the translations. Please inform us about your DIY renovation by emailing this form to SATO Customer Service.
Do-it-yourself renovations (English)
Üürikorterite remontimine (Estonian)
Ремонт квартиры своими руками (Russian)
Dayactirrada adiga samaysiga ah (Somali language)
Travaux à faire soi-même (French)
Kendi Kendinize Yenileme ve Tadilat (Turkish)
الإصلاحات الذاتية / إصلاح المنازل المؤجَّرة (Arabic)